Financial Need Scholarship | Don't Re-Traumatize Yourself

If you want to read my sample essay for this scholarship go to the Diversity Scholarship post because I submitted the same essays for both scholarships, the only difference in this actual post is the analysis I do on the scholarship itself.  This post will be mostly analysis with a few suggestions.  Also, you'll see some repetition in this post because I'm writing with the assumption that the reader hasn't looked at my last post.

The Financial Need Early Planning Scholarship is available to students who show significant financial need through their FAFSAs.  According to the Learning Abroad Center (LAC), this scholarship is intended to "ease the financial barrier" by being available early for students in order to "increase representation of economically disadvantaged students" (Financial Need, 2020).

I applied to this scholarship in 2018 with the hopes of funding my learning abroad program in South Africa.  In this post, I'll be talking mainly about why I decided not to apply to this scholarship again.

Now, this scholarship does have some merits.  The fact that this scholarship is available--period--is good because it means that the LAC and UMN acknowledges that there is something they can and should be doing to make study abroad more accessible. 

Unfortunately, there is a big problem with this scholarship.  There are two essay questions students must answer for this scholarship and--while the first question about general student motivation is unproblematic--the second question is honestly offensive.  

This is the second essay question as posted on the LAC website as of May 2020:

"We understand your financial aid (as assessed on the FAFSA) may not fully explain your financial circumstances.  While eligibility for this award is determined by qualification for subsidized loans, scholarship reviewers do not have access to your financial aid information. 
With that in mind, elaborate on the specifics of the financial circumstances impacting your and/or your family's ability to pay for study abroad.  Discuss what financial planning strategies you will use and/or steps you have already taken to pay for study abroad. Be as specific as possible. Your responses will remain confidential" (Financial Need, 2020)

This question puts students in a difficult position.  It is asking students to divulge in their financial problems, which can be upsetting for some to think about deeply let alone write about for a stranger to read.  

This question was really irritating for me because I did not know what the scholarship was looking for so I wrote an essay that drained me emotionally.  I felt like it was all unnecessary because students qualify for this scholarship based on their FAFSA anyway, so why did they need my lived experience?--Ya'll already know I can't afford it.  

Also, just applying for this scholarship is an example of a 'financial planning strategy', so why ya'll want to know about how I budget?  Unnecessary.  "YoUr ReSpOnSeS wIlL rEmAiN cOnFiDeNtIaL"--what the heck, you're still a stranger Boo Boo.  This line is basically telling us that they want to hear us say something like 'oh, I work 10 jobs and sold my left foot to pay for this, so please choose me.'  Like no, goofy.  I feel uncomfortable writing an essay for these white saviors to make them feel good about giving to a in-need student.

According to a UMN staff member that used to read essays for UMN scholarships, these scholarships are not 'comparing' stories of struggle.  These scholarships are not even necessarily looking for students who have the most 'need'.  They're looking for students who most eloquently express their financial need in their essay.  This makes me wonder why the question is needed if the scholarship is looking for a persuasive essay?  Why isn't the first part of this scholarship essay question--one aimed to uncover students' goals--enough to determine a recipient?  

When applying to this scholarship, students are already agreeing to have their FAFSAs analyzed to see if they qualify.  I think that knowing someone qualifies for this scholarship is all the information decision-makers should receive about a student's financial background.  I think it's inappropriate for the Financial Need Scholarship to ask for students' narratives--which could potentially re-traumatize students--in order to get assistance in overcoming financial barriers.

My advice for students applying for this scholarship is avoid divulging in your financial struggles like I did in my first application.  I made the mistake of detailing my family's financial barriers and history which made me feel drained instead of proud of what I have overcome.  Instead, I would suggest (1) focusing on how you had to become more financially literate  because of your financial barriers and not despite of them.  You don't have to talk about additional loans or jobs or sacrifices.  Talk about (2) the saving plans you made for your learning abroad opportunity and even additional scholarships you had to apply to.

(3) Talk about how more opportunities like these should be available for students from low-income households so study abroad opportunities can be more accessible.  Also--for the sake of this blog, possibly?--throw a sentence or two in your essay on how this question needs to change and why it has the potential to harm students more than help them.

Good Luck!

I recommend reading the post Gilman Scholarship to read about this scholarship process, sample essays, and overall suggestions for you.


Citations:

"Financial Need Early Planning Scholarship." Learning Abroad Center, University of Minnesota, 2020, https://umabroad.umn.edu/students/finances/scholarships/financialneed#:~:text=Purpose,students%20with%20significant%20financial%20need.

Comments

Popular Posts