Benefits of Studying Abroad--South Africa 2018-19

Studying abroad in Cape Town for a month was my first international learning experience, and it was so dope and encouraging that I knew I would be chasing experiences like it for the rest of my life. What really made the program was the cohort I was with and the people I met while in-country. I think the understanding, support, and challenges that came from having such a great cohort made the program a once in a life time experience.




I wouldn't consider socialization one of my strengths, but I can honestly say I connected to every single one of my peers on the trip. On top of that, the trip was created and run by one of the realest, most supportive instructors and advisors on the U of M campus, Nate Whittaker.



Nate encouraged me to apply to his program, and because I trusted him so much I was determined to take part.



The program has the ability to truly be challenging in the most satisfying way. I think this program does what many social justice and human rights courses at the UMN fail to do...and that is deeply personalizing different social challenges. It makes you confront your privilege and assumptions while also providing the opportunity for you to grow--if you get out of your own way.



My study abroad experience was something I couldn't imagine not having during my undergraduate career--but in all honesty it almost didn't happen for me. Financing the program was a challenging barrier for me to overcome, especially because I didn't get any of the study abroad scholarships I applied to for the course. The UMN study abroad scholarship, the Financial Need scholarship, the Diversity scholarship, the PES Engagement scholarship, and a couple others all didn't choose my application.

Not getting any outside scholarship money really shined a light on how financially dependent I was on these opportunities. For a while I really didn't think I was going to be able to go on the program. It also showed how inaccessible a study abroad experience can be if you don't have the tenacity and patience to apply to as many scholarships as you can--or if outside forces prohibit you from applying and/or impact the quality of your applications.

As wonderful was my study abroad experience was I would not have gone if Nate Whittaker didn't talk to me about my financial options and validate my thoughts regarding the scholarship application process. He gave me advice on which scholarships were TRIO student friendly as well as kind in other regards. (TRIO is a program that strives to ensure access and equal opportunity education for UMN students that qualify.)  

First, I'd like to stress that I'm not saying my essays were high and mighty or the student who was chosen was undeserving. I'm writing about how the actual scholarship application processes made me--and other students who had the same concerns--feel.

One of my biggest problems that I brought up to Nate was feeling gross and weary after writing my scholarship application essays and then not being chosen. We both agreed that many scholarships encourage students--overtly or covertly through wording--to broadcast their traumas and 'other' their identities and backgrounds.

As a result of the feelings I was having and the validation Nate gave me, I did some evaluation. I mildly broke down what I think I did wrong, what I think the scholarship essay prompts did wrong, and what I think some scholarships as a whole do wrong in terms of accessibility and equity for students. I share these answers in this blog and attempt to be as specific and honest as I can.

After this experience, I decided to set some standards for myself and the scholarships I applied to in the future. These new standards really helped me when I decided to study abroad again in Nairobi, Kenya. Not only did I receive many more scholarships this second time around, but I also felt more empowered at the end of my application process.

I recommend reading the post Benefits of Studying Abroad--MSID Kenya 2019 to read more about not only my study abroad experience but also how I felt about my scholarship applications as a whole.

Comments

Popular Posts