Benefits of Studying Abroad--MSID Kenya 2019

My study abroad experience in Nairobi truly strengthened me and enhanced my academic, professional, and networking abilities. I went into the program hoping to research more about how histories of revolutions against colonial forces were interpreted in the informal education systems of Kenya. I had the opportunity to learn from wonderful professors, and I had the unique opportunity of interning at the Nairobi National Museum.




The MSID Kenya program focuses on creating a multidimensional student experience. The program director was Dr. Mohamud Jama. He is a brilliant intellectual that truly cared about the knowledge being passed on to students. He valued our thoughts and ideas and really worked to enhance our experience. The program equally valued what students were learning inside and outside the classroom, so the experience was broken into two parts: a classroom phase and an internship phase.




During the 7-week academic phase I was able to learn about development and what it means, cultural production in Kenya and the African diaspora in the US, and I even did some Swahili language learning. These handful of weeks go by so quickly, but you would be surprised by what you learn, who you're introduced to, and what you can accomplish. The academic phase should really be carried with you as you enter your internship. I made sure to keep my experiences from the classroom phase in mind as I began my internship phase.




The 6-week internship phase was where I really had to stretch and strengthen my resilience, passion, and patience. I was placed in the Nairobi National Museum where I took part in departmental and exhibition analysis, gallery construction, and library data entry.


Last but not least, I want to give credit to my host family who really made my study abroad trip phenomenal. For me, there is something about being able to come home at the end of the day and really be comfortable and just...live slowly. My host family provided a dynamic that allowed me to become comfortable and feel supported. They provided a space that allowed me to de-stress and even get better connected to other aspects of my life I felt were lacking. I was able to attend church with them and have conversation that--even back home--was essential for me mentally and emotionally. I love my host family for who they are and who they allowed me to be while I stayed with them.


Now, back tracking into the scholarship experience for this program, I feel I was way more informed. This time around, I knew what I would and would not allow myself to talk about in my essays. Like I said during my last post, I decided to set some standards for myself and the scholarships I applied to. In my essays I knew I would not  "elaborate on the specifics of the financial circumstances impacting your and/or your family's ability to pay for study abroad" (Financial Need, 2020) because it was irrelevant to my goals and purpose to study abroad...and honestly I didn't think it was anyone's business (lbs). Nor would I talk about the challenges unique to my identities that I would encounter during my time abroad (Diversity, 2020). In essence, I didn't want to hit any topics I wouldn't talk to a stranger about, and I didn't want entertain a question that might put another student in situation were they felt as disempowered as I did.


Not every student can be prolific when they talk about these topics, and some would even rather forget. To feel like you HAVE to talk about your background or identity to get a scholarship--to have access to an opportunity that's guaranteed for some and impossible for others--is just unnecessary to me. So this time around, I decided to write an essay to the Financial Need Scholarship and Diversity Scholarship that was more of a statement then an actual application. While I can no longer find this essay, I basically said to them everything that I'm saying in this Blog. No, I didn't get a response but it made me feel better and even a little redeemed. Almost like I'm taking my story back.


Then, I decided to seriously apply to the PES Engagement Scholarship, the general UMN Study Abroad Scholarship, and the Gilman Scholarship. In these essays I really focused on my academic and professional goals. This ended up working out great for me.


I did received the PES Engagement Scholarship, the general UMN Study Abroad Scholarship, and the Gilman Scholarship as well as the Judee Kleffman Scholarship and Elizabeth Tegan Scholarship. And so, in my following post I'll talk about the experience I had with some of these scholarships as well as provide the essays I wrote.


I recommend reading the post UMN Study Abroad Scholarship to read about this scholarship process, the winning and losing essays I submitted, and overall suggestions for you.


Citations:

"Diversity Study Abroad Scholarship." Learning Abroad Center, University of Minnesota, 2020,

https://umabroad.umn.edu/students/finances/scholarships/diversity


"Financial Need Early Planning Scholarship." Learning Abroad Center, University of Minnesota, 2020, https://umabroad.umn.edu/students/finances/scholarships/financialneed#:~:text=Purpose,students%20with%20significant%20financial%20need.

Comments

Popular Posts